Friday, June 8, 2012

Ray Bradbury, Love Life!

I'm on a Joy Binge.

Don't need urbandictionary.com for this one.  Though I might have to add an entry:

Joy Binge (n): is where I feel like running around the office, screaming, singing, and possibly running into things headfirst, just because I have so much energy/ excitement/ joy for life.  

   ex: 

     Dude: "Nicole, what was that kartwheel near the Kopy Machine for? Are you like, happy it's Friday or something?"

     Me:          "
   !"

JOY BINGE!!!

  
Why am I so psyched to be alive, you (and the dude in the copy room) might well ask?

First of all, MY VOICE IS BACK!!!!!!!!!  And I have a singing audition tomorrow!!!!!  Cue more joyful music!!!!

All the voices in my head wear office apparel!

I took a singing lesson yesterday with the amazing, incredible, light-filled Alba Quezada.  She is a Linklater singing teacher, that Andrea (remember, the lady who originally told me I might have nodes?) recommended to me.

Because yes, my friends, I have a musical theatre audition tomorrow.  WAHOO!!  I am so excited to be singing again!

The lesson was all about keeping it simple when singing.  Just taking a small amount of information (a slight yawn in the back of the throat, and supporting the breath in your lower back/ butt) and then trusting yourself.  To not get negative, or down, or think too much about technique, but just to have fun!

Or, in the words of the great Ray Bradbury: "Jump off the cliff... and build your wings on the way down!"



(Speaking of Ray, if you want to watch an amazing, zany interview with him about books, joy, Mars, and doing what you love, watch this:)



See, tonight, after my first shift playing saxophone on The Ride (WHAT!! I got hired!!)  I will not be going out to the bar, or to drink magical cocktails at a bar called Ghost (where my friend Rajiv is bartending).

Instead: I will sleep for as long as possible..and then get up early to warm up on the roof (my new music studio) because yes, my friends, I have a musical theatre audition tomorrow.  For a childrens' musical.  To play a Princess.  ( Did I mention I get to sing tomorrow?)

I will sing a peppy, funny Judy Garland song. My voice will be clear, strong, connected, and beautiful. And I will figure out how to solve a very specific problem....with this song: 

subtitled: "... (And Raise a Little Hell Tonight)"


I have the urge to write more, about Eddie Guttman, the spectacular accompanist/ composer that I worked with after Alba, who also reminded me how to thing of singing as problem solving (and all my vocal issues clear up!)

  But I think I will save it...plus an update after my first shift on "The Ride".  I'm so excited to be getting paid to perform for tourists... it's the most incredible sense of validation New York has ever given me, I think.

Saxophone, singing, dancing, or acting- I want it all!  And sometimes I want it in Spanish.  Que lindo este mundo!  Gracias to the world!!


(I feel happy.  Know why?  'Cuz I don't gotta show Nobody Nothing...to be Somebody.)

 And that's what it's all about!

No comments:

Post a Comment