Thursday, May 31, 2012

Sweet Banana Crepes, Batman!

So, yesterday, I got an agent.  And a callback from The Ride (see Channeling Lisa Simpson).  And booked a commercial!

The commercial ended up not working out (they cast someone else and didn't tell me), the callback is with someone else (more on that later), I'm only freelancing with the agent, not a signed contract. But still- WTF, The Universe??  All in one day?  That's insane, even for New York.  Oh yeah, and I also got up at 6am, worked, went to the gym, and had a student film audition (nailed it).  Life is so camping, sometimes.

Okay, okay, we get it.

Needless to say, in the middle of the afternoon, low on blood sugar, (after gym/work/callback/agent meeting success, but before the commerical re-cast letdown) I saw a sign for "French Crepes".  Word.  Clearly, a Strawberry-Bananna-Nutella "Classic" was in order:

For Visual Celebration Purposes Only.  Mine was twice this big.

Not all the Nutella melted, so accordingly, I had to lick my fingers/ the knife/ the whole plate clean after. (Love being a fat kid!) 

So yeah, the callback for The Ride is cool, actually.  I get to play sax with this amazing, belt-your-face-off, take-em-to-church-voice..all coming from a very sweet girl named Jeanel. They want us to work out a "bit" together..you know, white girl with soulful sax, black girl with soulful pipes.  What's not to love? And you know, the more I think about it, the more "The Ride"  feels like the modern evolution of Vaudeville...except that in this case, the audience travels to the stage, instead of the performers.  I could get down with that.


The future looks swell, kid!


  I actually auditioned for "The Ride" right after Jeanel, and got to hear her sing while I was waiting.  Literally, people were coming OUT OF THEIR OFFICES and CLAPPING HYSTERICALLY when she was singing in the room.  She is that good.  If at least she doesn't get this gig, they are idiots. 

We've been texting back and forth, trying to figure out a piece we can work on together for the callback...and she told me this is the first thing she's auditioned for out of college.  She just graduated this spring, is fron New Jersey, and she's a Music Education Major.  The fresh-faced newbie and the old disillusioned hag, working together, in showbiz, in New York..Someone should make a tv show or something!  Oh wait:
They did.

Anyway, should be on Monday or Tuesday.  Maybe I'll get my broken sax fixed in the meantime.

*Wish us luck!

Other news to report- the agency that I'm freelancing with is called Metropolis Artists Agency.



  They are a pretty newly established, legit agency. They are franchised by the unions, though, and Marius Bargielski, the adorable Polish man who is my agent seems to:

 1) know what he's doing,
b) be very business savvy, and
thirdly) call me on my BS..

...which is a necessary component in any of my relationships. (As my friends well know.)

If you'd like to check out Metropolis Artists Agency's website, it's here. The only problem is, he doesn't want me to move to LA..they are only New York based.  Argh.  Well.  We will cross that bridge when we come to it!


Okay, I think that's all, for now.  It's a gorgeous day in New York, and I have San Francisco wedding photos to stalk on Facebook.

Love and music!  <3







No comments:

Post a Comment